Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Childhood Cancer Awareness Month


Today is the first day of September and therefore the first day of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Although many people don't read my blog, if there is anyone who does who may not have known this information before... I have at least spread awareness that much more. I had never really thought much of childhood cancer before hearing the story of a little boy who lost his struggle with the terrible disease. He was a cousin to a friend of ours and I began following his journey after our friend shared her cousin's story. Since learning of his struggle and "meeting some parents" of children who have/had this disease and reading other stories of innocent children who have had to endure so much suffering because of cancer, I wanted to help spread awareness.


I will confess that I have not been very active or involved in doing this since I first began last year, mostly due to pregnancy and now having two children, it's just been hard to be online as much as I had been before. Not that I did a lot before then. Anyways, here is my miniscule contribution to help spread awareness -- Breast cancer recieves so much funding and there is so much information out there about it, why can't it be the same for Childhood Cancer? The children deserve it!


Here is some information/statistics about Childhood Cancer.

Facts on Childhood Cancer (courtesy of Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation):

* On the average, 36 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer everyday in the United States.
* On the average, one in every four elementary schools has a child with cancer. The average high school has two students who are current or former cancer patients.
* Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the United States.
* Childhood cancers affect more potential patient-years of life than any other cancer except breast and lung cancer.
* The causes of most childhood cancers are unknown. At present, childhood cancer cannot be prevented.* Childhood cancer occurs regularly, randomly and spares no ethnic group, socioeconomic class, or geographic region. In the United States, the incidence of cancer among adolescents and young adults is increasing at a greater rate than any other age group, except those over 65 years.
* Despite these facts, childhood cancer research is vastly and consistently underfunded.


Here are some ways you can help!

Join PAC2, a great site for parents, family, friends anyone who wants to help spread awareness!


Sign the Petition:

Or, just spread the word through your blog or some other form of communication.
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You don't know me, but I stumbled upon your blog while "googling" childhood cancer awareness month. I want to thank you for spreading the word and awareness. I am a mother of a boy who had cancer at 8 months old. He is 2 years in remission but obviously now the cause is very close to my heart. So from one mother to another, thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)
    Patricia Hoffman
    Shanesmom5507@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete